In today’s digital world, the usage of smartphones is rapidly increasing, and children of all ages are using smartphones for various purposes. Talking with friends and relatives on-call/video calls, playing games, social media uses, and online education are the sources of uses for smartphones, and children are involved in this. Parents are getting stuck with their children’s health.
Now there are more reasons for concern over the excessive use of technology among the young. Using of smartphones among little kids has risen dramatically.
Many research and study show that children are not fully-grown. Their minds and bodies are affected, and the environment around them is also affected due to radiation generated by mobile phones and other wireless devices.
There are many benefits of smartphones when parents properly guide and manage their kids’ uses of smartphones. But without proper guidance, the drawback of smartphones will directly affect the children’s development, health, and studies.
Therefore, we will look into the drawbacks of smartphones on the development of our kids.
- EYESIGHT and Vision Problem: Using and looking small size mobile phone screens for long durations of time can cause permanent eye damage, start headaches and more health problems appear. These days, young children are more involved in playing online games and watching videos for hours, which can affect their eyesight.
- Weak Immunity System: Use of mobile phones after a long duration of time, many germs on their mobile screens and body, which are high in numbers, are easily transferred to the body as they touch frequently. Using too close to the face for talking or watching videos can also increase the risk of exposure to germs and reduces immune strength.
- RISK OF TUMOURS: It is scary information for your kids, but the truth is that various research and studies show that there has been a risk of tumours in kids who are using smartphones excessively. There is limited evidence to prove that tumours are caused by smartphone radiation, but there is a possibility that the risk involved is due to excessively used smartphones.
- DISRUPTED SLEEP PATTERN: Most children use smartphones before going to bed. They could either be talking to their friends, playing games, watching videos, or staying on social media for a long duration of time. Using electronic devices late at night can reduce sleep timing, and this sleep disturbance can disrupt children’s academic life. There have also been several recent research studies that shows that the lack of quality sleep in children also affects their physical development, productivity, attention, and energy levels. Therefore, it is essential for us to strict rules about smartphone usage at night to ensure quality sleep for our children.
- EFFECT ON MENTAL HEALTH: The unnecessary use of the internet in smartphones makes children addicted to using social media platforms for various purposes and using apps for entertainment and games. A new study shows that the use of the internet increased due to more time spent on smartphones, and that is causing the rise of depression and anxiety among children.